I consider myself a fairly patient person. I, like anyone else, can temporarily lose my patience, but overall I don't get hot-headed-- ever. I also consider myself a very logical person. At times, I can be a bit too logical and get lost in the romance, creativity, and open possibilities of life.
This pregnancy has caused me to lose my logical, patient self for the first time since becoming a full grown adult. The first was about 6 months ago, and the next was just yesterday (and continuing). The 6 months ago story is a long and personal one, but the one starting yesterday is one-- I'm sure-- shared by many mothers.
I went to my doctor on Monday who told me that many of the early signs of labor were there. Yay! Some false labor contractions that I had the previous week caused the baby to move further into birthing position. She informed us that with each false labor contraction, the baby moves more into position to go into true labor. This is very, very exciting. We left the doctor feeling very confident and hoping that more false labor contractions, or "practice" contractions as we call them, would lead to labor sooner rather than later. On Wednesday, I experienced some more practice contractions. And, again on Thursday. However, on Friday, I had a full day of false labor contractions, on and off all day. This was very, very exciting.
However, since Wednesday I've been somewhat distracted. Waiting... and waiting... and assuming that each practice contraction is going to lead to the real deal. But, it doesn't. For a full 72 hours, I just keep waiting for the moment when I can tell Ramis, "Let's go." It's not that I'm too tired or I'm done with the pregnancy; I'm just READY. I want to meet the little girl! So, I read a little too much into the signs and I assume I'm going into labor, but then the day passes by and nothing has progressed.
So, by today, my logical self returned and Ramis and I got out of the house. We put together the 3-wheeled stroller, went to Costco, World Market, the mall, and then home again. It was a full day attempting to take my mind off of my-- perhaps-- impending labor. The only problem was: I was super uncomfortable forcing myself to walk around with a big baby pounding down on me. I did it, for a whole 4 hours of walking around with only infrequent breaks. The day passed by faster today, but I can only hope that this baby is as excited to meet us as we are to meet her, because this waiting is freakin' killing me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your patience has not disappeared; it is only missing in action:) In reading your post, I just kept thinking, "What an exciting week you had." Baby is coming, baby is coming! Perhaps the whole labor thing (practice or real) is simply the first lesson for parents to learn that no one is in charge anymore. You are now a family of three and decisions are made by consensus. She is going to make her appearance when the time is right for everyone. And you will not regret one single second of the wait.
ReplyDeleteThere is just something about week 39-40. It gets to the impatient phase and those moms who have never experienced that last week will never know that desperate feeling. I know so many of us that did not assume we would make it to our due date or go even one day late. Hang in there friend. I know how you feel.
ReplyDeleteI love you, Lindsey. :)
ReplyDeleteThe moment she is born, you will be so lost in her eyes, fingers, toes, face, cheeks and the miracle of her that you will forget all about losing those parts of yourself & your mind that you thought you had together. While you still can, enjoy her on the inside because I promise you will miss her being that closely connected to you. Take care sweet little cousin of mine. I love you.
ReplyDelete