Monday, July 13, 2009

My little reader

In the past 2 months, we've read books to Summer on and off. We already have an enormous library of books for her. So, I'd just pull a book off the shelf and read to her at various points throughout the day. Now, I'm not going to say that reading is part of our bedtime routine just yet, but it has been introduced. I've read Horton Hears a Who, Brown Bear Brown Bear, and various fairy tales more than anything else.

Today, however, little Summer REALLY got into it. Today I picked out One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. She was kicking, looking at the pictures, and cooing the whole time I was reading. Then, this girl had a FIT when I put the book down halfway through. I was certain that a 2-month-old couldn't sit through a Dr. Seuss book, but boy was I wrong. I picked it back up, finished the book and she seemed satisfied after I was done. She-- HONESTLY-- listened and looked the whole way through. I now have a new favorite book!

Oh, but the other grand event of the day! Summer had her 2-month appointment today. She now weighs 13.5 pounds, which is at the 97th percentile for her weight. Yay! Mommy's doing a good job feeding her! But, she also happens to be in the 100th percentile for cuteness... although this wasn't documented for some reason. Anyway, she got her first of several immunizations today. The look was classic. She was relaxing in my arm and then a sudden look of surprise followed by an ear piercing scream. I know this sounds wrong, but I couldn't help but laugh as I was trying to calm her. We were definitely laughing and on the verge of tears at the same time. Poor little baby! Her surprised look was just too funny!

She was fine afterward until we realized how very necessary that Infant Tylenol really is. We went out to run errands after our appointment and about 2 hours later, she was screaming in pain from her leg. We finally got her to relax and take a nap at home, but we're definitely keeping up with the Tylenol for a few days. I never could have imagined how needed medicine is until you see your tiny baby screaming in pain.

We'll go back in 2 weeks to give her the rest of her 2-month immunizations, but not without giving her the Tylenol beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment