Sunday, February 8, 2009

Fighting the Flu like a Champ

On Tuesday, I shared a lunch table along with about 8 of my coworkers to enjoy some tasty salad. One co-worker told us that he had the flu and a fever and was wishing he didn't have to be at work. Uh... WHAT? Go home! He sat there and finished his salad, then went home. Well, it goes without saying that the 4 people in his closest reach also contracted this wonderful flu. I was one of them.

On Thursday, I felt like I couldn't breathe. On Friday, I was coughing like crazy. On Saturday, I was DYING with body aches. Soon after Ramis came home from class Saturday, I could feel a fever coming on. I started to ignore my wussy inclination to follow my 'I don't have an appetite and can't stomach drinking water right now' instinct and went full force into mommy-mode.

Knowing that my last resort in this case would be to take Tylenol for my inevitable fever, I started drinking water like a fish. One 20-ounce glass of water, one small glass of juice, repeat. My fever went up from my typical 97ish to a 99.6 degrees and I got really scared. So, more water and we went to have soup and salad for dinner. I felt horrible and was in worse pain from the body aches and headache than I can ever remember being in, but I did what I had to do to not take any meds. By the time we got home, my temp was back to normal and I kept up the incessant water drinking. I was incredibly achy by bedtime, but I slept through the night.

And, guess what? I feel 97% better today! Yay for fighting viruses with water and sheer will power! Baby girl was pretty still for the 3 days I wasn't feeling well, but she's back to kicking like a champ today... and I'm loving it!

1 comment: