Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sigh....

Since only yesterday (although it feels like 2 weeks ago), I have been rummaging through the 2nd bedroom in the house trying to make room for a new little baby. Apparently, these babies take up a lot of room. Well, I guess I can't say that since our house is only 891 square feet. Anyway, I digress....

This cleaning out required Ramis and me first to clean out the garage containing most of an entire 3rd grade classroom. All stuff had to be evacuated or neatly stored in the garage. Sometimes I think classrooms have more stuff in one room than our entire house has. I guess that becomes very evident when you have to empty one. So, currently the garage is sorted into piles labeled with its destination (Good Will, my classroom, garbage).

Then, Monday night was the big event: we purchased the crib and dresser online. I keep getting the vibe from people that it was too early to do that, but I'm thinking-- I'm already uncomfortable moving stuff around; why would I want to wait until I'm even more uncomfortable? In fact, as I've been cleaning, I wish I had started earlier! Plus, don't I want to get the vessels to put things away in before I'm toting the babe around in my arms? Anyway, the crib and dresser arrive tomorrow!! :)

Yesterday, I started cleaning out the desk and bookshelf. Now, the desk has been mine since I was a junior in college (hm? 9 years now?), so you can imagine all the wonderful crap I got to throw away yesterday. But, then again, the crap is the problem. All this stuff is important: all our brewery coasters from our various brewery tours, all our rare Pearl Jam collectibles, all my coins from all over the world. What do I do with all that stuff? I still haven't figured it out. Meanwhile, all our books had to be boxed up. Sad, I know. We already purged all the unnecessary books months ago, but we have remaining about two full totes full of books-- good books. That was super sad. The bookshelf space for Michael Moore, George Orwell, Rumi, Toni Morrison, and others was replaced with Dr. Seuss, Shel Silverstein, and Jon Scieszka. The photo albums had to be boxed up as well. What is going to happen with those things anyway? Are our photo albums going to turn into the equivalent of real slide shows? I'm tempted to get work on scanning all the pictures so we can get rid of them, but I suppose that wouldn't be wise. Two totes full of albums is what you get as a result of working at a photo processing store for a large chunk of high school.

Today, I worked a little slower because I'm pretty much tired. Regardless, the room and closet is empty of all the "stuff", with the exception of baby clothes and books. Now, we just need to sell the desk and deliver the futon and we'll be set. I guess people have told me I can't move that big stuff.

Perhaps tonight my love and I can get to work on putting together the glider!

Just for those who are curious: What sort of theme are we going with in the nursery? Well, the theme will be... NO THEME! I know! Creative, right? We have curtains and we have a rug. They're perfectly good and they match the walls. So, we're putting cherry furniture to match the cherry wood bookshelves. Then, we go solid pastel neutrals and brown. I have a feeling that there is going to be a color explosion once the child arrives anyway that it's pointless for us to even attempt to create some sort of Pottery Barn Kids showroom of any sort. You know? There will be green; there will be yellow; there will be brown. That's all I can say about this room.

Good-bye 200 square feet for mommy and daddy, but hello baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment