Saturday, October 31, 2009

I saw / never saw this day coming

It is common knowledge that the birth of new babies brings lack of sleep for mommies and daddies around the world. Before Summer was born, I anticipated this lack of sleep by reading up on sleep solutions only in hopes to prepare ourselves for the sleep deprivation that we would soon embark upon.

Then, our little sunshine was born and she completely defied all expectations. She slept through the night-- we're talking 9 hours-- before she was even 2 months old. All my worries melted away and I moved happily on to worrying about other things (because I guess that's what we do).

As she grew older, became more beautifully social, and mommy and daddy returned to work, Summer began to wake up more often. We had assumed that because she had slept so well in the past, she just must be hungry. But, what turned from 1 extra feeding to 2 extra feedings, now is at a crisis point.

I can handle waking up every 3 hours. That is within my threshold. However, what I cannot handle is what is beginning to happen this week: a beautiful, loving child who wakes up every 1 to 3 hours only to take about 1 to 3 hours to be put back to sleep. 1 hour putting to sleep; 2 hours sleeping; 2 hours feeding, rocking, cradling, singing, shushing, changing diapers; 2 hours sleeping; repeat.

Here's the problem, that 2 or 3 hours that she is sleeping, Mommy and Daddy are not always sleeping. We are waiting restlessly for the next episode of grunting and fussing. This brings moments of weakness that bring confusion and frustration.

Well, let's move towards solutions, right? Everyone has their suggestions: letting her cry it out, feeding her solids, or waiting for this period to end because she's growing. Well, sometimes those solutions might work for baby, but not always for mommy and/or daddy. But, what also doesn't work is the juggling act that we are currently riding out-- doing whatever we can to get everyone back to sleep.

As we embark on the most challenging parenting task that we have yet encountered, I realize that mommy needs to train herself to train her lovely baby to sleep. I will endure nights of only 2 or 3 hours of sleep, just so that for the next 12 months or so we don't have to endure the fussy night child syndrome-- sleep is just far too essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment