Sunday, December 6, 2009

Turning Thirty

In a little over two months, I will be 30 years old. To some, this was probably a transformative time of their lives, where they reflected on where the time might have gone—how did they get so old? Being 30 means you go from being “young” to an “adult”. However, I transitioned into this state-of-mind a little prematurely, and this is how I know I’m ready for adulthood:

  • I have a daughter, I’m married, I own my home in the suburbs, I own a gold minivan, and I’ve traveled extensively.
  • My husband has been in his 30s for three years now. We move in unison, so I get it.
  • I would rather enjoy a glass of wine at home than go to a bar.
  • I’m OK with it when my students say any of the following: “My dad likes that music”, “You’re as old as my mom!”, and “That movie [made in 1998] is old” (1998 being the year I graduated high school). I also get a little giddy when I find out my students have siblings my age or if my students' parents are my parents' age.
  • Speaking of music, I totally agree with the adult statement: they don’t make good music anymore.
  • I actually enjoy telling students ‘how things used to be’ and find it kind of funny when they are surprised.
  • Fashion is overrated. I see trends when they happen and think they are ridiculous before, during, and after. Shopping is overrated.
  • I now have wrinkles. I look at them and think, “those are laugh lines!” Then, I catch myself and remember: those are wrinkles. I got them from years of sun exposure, laughing, and just getting older.
  • Going to San Francisco is less and less appealing as parking is always a challenge.
  • My parents are retired/retiring.
  • The only events that get us pumped to get a babysitter and go out after 8pm are events that involve the word FREE.
  • I go to bed before 10pm on a regular basis.
  • I have extensive knowledge of fiber and its benefits for the digestive tract.
  • I feel no pressure whatsoever to appear 'cool'.

Yep. I’m right on track, if not ahead of schedule! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment