Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Summer's Room

When a couple is pregnant and the due date quickly approaches, preparations for baby's room always takes priority. However, Ramis and I were aware that Summer was going to sleep close to us for the first few weeks. Regardless, we still transitioned our office into her nursery in February-- 3 months before she was due (why? I don't know).

What we we thought would be weeks in our room turned out to be months.... 6 1/2 to be exact. We love rolling over and looking at her in the bassinet so peacefully sleeping. We didn't mind the gentle crawling in and out of the room. We were all together.

However, with the advent of our growing baby scooting on her back and making preparations for her impending crawling, it is no longer safe for her to sleep in the bassinet and it is likely no longer comfortable for her. So, we must use the crib in her room for what it was intended.

We decided on this Thanksgiving break as our transition time. A time when we could rest during the day if we happen to experience sleepless nights as a result of her move. I have been dreading this time for just this reason.

So, the day arrived and we didn't pay much attention to the fact that Summer was moving into her own room until about 5pm. When we arrived home, mommy and daddy made preparations and got everything in place. We went through our bedtime routine and then mommy braced herself for what she was expecting to be a living nightmare. (Daddy is far too rational and relaxed, knowing everything was going to work out, but soothing mommy all the same.) So, finally, I placed my sleepy, but wide-eyed daughter down in her own crib and walked out of her room.

I expected wailing cries. We had a plan for how to react. I turned on the monitor in the living room. What? Silence? This silence continued. She played with her rattle in the crib, she fussed for 30 seconds, silence, repeat. Then, about 5 minutes later I asked Ramis to check on her. She was sleeping.

Why, oh why, did we end up with such a perfect child? How did that happen? She is such a GOOD GIRL! It fascinates me everyday. There is something so surreal and extraordinary about this child. She is the embodiment of perfection! And, she just CAME OUT that way. Is it us being her parents that makes us think like this? No, she's just perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment