So, our baby has been baking for about 28 weeks, which means I only have a very short 12 weeks to go before we get to see her beautiful face. In the mean time, she's been wildly kicking for me. My newest and most favorite new thing is that I can physically see her kicks on my belly.
Here she is 12 weeks ago... she is so much bigger now!It awes me how big she's gotten in such a short amount of time, and I suppose this feeling will only continue. As adults, time passes and not much changes-- not looks, not routines, nothing much. But, kids grow like crazy. Even my students have grown remarkably in 5 years of teaching. I suppose that's one of the chief reasons to have children; in a sense, to seize life before it escapes you. I am so excited to grow with our daughter, as I really already am. I am excited to find out about her-- her personality, her interests, everything!
We still have done nothing to prepare for her little room. This is for several reasons, however. Ramis and I are really looking forward to having her share a room with us. We'll have her stay in a little travel bassinet or in our bed with us, until she (or we) are ready to have her sleep permanently in her own room. She is joining us, not as a peripheral, but as part of the family we have built thus far. I have created a little nook in the office for all her little toys and onesies that we have accumulated.
Recently, a lot of people have commented about how big my belly has gotten. I suppose she's "popped", but I always thought it was big! I guess it was good getting over that awkward, 'has she been drinking too much beer or is she pregnant?' stage. I'm most certainly pregnant, and it most certainly shows. Physically, I cannot cross my arms all the way and I cannot stand over the sink to wash dishes without leaning. That's kind of weird. My belly runs into doors and doorways, and I've swiped a few of my students with my belly. (Oh well, maybe that'll teach them to get out of my way!) I really do worry that because my belly is prominent at 28 weeks, that perhaps it's going to be unbelievably large and heavy in 10 weeks. Yikes! Oh well.
Along with a lot of the things that have been overwhelming me about pregnancy in general, is the amazing amount of support and care that so many other mothers have given me recently. I feel I have entered into this 'world' that non-moms are really not part of. It's kind of cool, actually. Lots of people offer advice; some offer too much advice and some offer just what I needed to hear. Regardless of what I hear, I love to hear that these women really genuinely care about me and how I'm doing. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! I work with some amazing and wonderful people; I really need to show how grateful I am for that more often.
Outside of the pregnancy, my wonderful, amazing husband has been working so hard. He has worked now 6 Saturdays in a row, and I barely see him during the week anyway. He pulls anywhere from 8 to 15 hour days on any given work day. This just makes me really treasure the time that I do get to spend with him, but I really miss the days of carpooling home together at 4; having long breaks and not ever changing out of our pajamas on a Tuesday; cooking dinner together- or even eating dinner together; going out in the garden after work where he would mow the lawn and I would pull the weeds. Those days are gone, if only temporarily, in order to make room for some appropriate and exciting career moves. I'm excited that he's excited, and really am so proud of him at making this leap that is so fitting for his personality and aspirations... and I know that he misses all the same things I miss, because he tells me all the time. He is going to be an amazing father to our child; I can't wait to see him be a daddy. Oh, there I go: crying again! (I'm so ready to be done with these crying hormones!)
So, we'll see how this blogging thing goes... hopefully, there'll be more to come!
I love you, Lindsey! Oh, and your fabulous hubby too!! :)
ReplyDeleteJust wait until next year at this time, when she is crawling and laughing and cooing at you .... that's when it hits you how fast time goes by. Treasure every moment now and when she is born .... before you know it, Kindergarten is looking you smack dab in the face! Love you my sweet cousin!
ReplyDelete